We are fast approaching the canning season. As you plan your garden, start thinking about your canning practices and equipment.
• Do you have a pressure canner with a gauge? When did your local agent last check your gauge?
• How old is your equipment? Does it need to be replaced? Is the gasket in good condition?
• Are you using the proper equipment to can low acid vegetables vs. fruit?
• Are you following the best procedures?
• When did you last update your recipes?
If you have any doubts about your equipment or canning practices, check with your local FCS Extension agent for local classes and canning equipment check-up dates.
Canning is wonderful if it is done safely!