Flowers, chocolates, perfume, cards, dinners out and jewelry are all nice gifts for Mother's Day. How about in addition to these items you will be giving to mom you add in a little home-made coupon book good for other "mom appreciation" gifts!
These coupon books can come from anyone in the family and can be made up to meet mom's needs! Moms love spending time with their family (and some relaxing quiet time alone as well). So your coupons can be for things like:
- Weekly time together. This can be done in segments of an hour or more at a time and spent on activities like walking, going shopping, baking desserts, volunteering together or anything one-on-one.
- A home-cooked meal that mom doesn't have to prepare herself. Or breakfast in bed.
- Access to the TV remote for an entire evening. Her choice of any chick-flick or television series she likes.
- Washing her car.
- An open discussion time where she gets to talk to you about what's going on in your life. This is especially good for kids and teens who might forget to keep parents in the loop on their personal lives and feelings.
- Putting away the dishes and cleaning up the kitchen after a dinner.
- At-home pedicure.
There really is no limit to the amount of "coupons" you can put in a book or what you can include. The important thing is to remember to keep them centered on mom and what she likes. Try to include coupons for open communication and times where mom can ask their children questions about their lives.
"Communication within the family is extremely important because it enables members to express their needs, wants, and concerns to each other. Open and honest communication creates an atmosphere that allows family members to express their differences as well as love and admiration for one another. It is through communication that family members are able to resolve the unavoidable problems that arise in all families." - Families First: Keys to Successful Family Functioning Communication, VCE Pub 350-092.