Whether you watch the super bowl for the game or the commercials, don't let this day of football and friends get in the way of your New Year's resolutions to live healthier and take better care of yourself.
We all know that watching the game with company leads to snacking on foods that later on can make you feel sick or even regretful. If you are going to someone else's house for the game, be sure to eat a healthy snack or sandwich before you go to help prevent you from starving and overeating later. You can also offer to bring a couple of healthy options, so you know there will be healthy choices.
Instead of the traditional bags of potato chips, soda, high sugar/fat desserts... try serving your guests:
- Vegetable trays
- Fruit and yogurt parfaits
- Whole grain breads and lean meats for sandwiches
- Chili made with lean meat served with reduced fat sour cream and cheese
- Baked tortilla chips and salsa
- For dessert offer angel food cake or sugar-free pudding and fruit parfaits
- Always offer water, diet soda and sugar free drink mixes to help satisfy and control overeating
It is possible to stick to a healthy diet and enjoy the game at the same time!
Just remember MODERATION, not deprivation!
Need some quick and healthy recipe ideas? Check out eXtension's website http://www.quickhealthyrecipes.msstate.edu/ for some great menus!