9-5-2-1-0 for Health Initiative is a product of the Northern Virginia Healthy Kids Coalition.
Valley Health has recently established a childhood obesity task force that Virginia Cooperative Extension will participate in and has adopted the "9-5-2-1-0" campaign to promote children's health in our community.
9-5-2-1-0 is a way to remind families that children everywhere need...
- 9 hours of sleep each night. This can be accomplished by establishing a schedule and bedtime routine. Children are growing at a tremendous rate and need adequate rest to support this growth. A rested child also performs better in school.
- Lots of fruit and vegetables. Fill half the plate or .5 with fruit and vegetables at each meal. Fruit and vegetables contain lots of nutrients and fiber that keep children healthy.
- 2 hours or less of TV and/or computer screen time. By limiting computer and screen time children may become more interested in reading books and have more opportunities to use their imaginations in unstructured play.
- 1 hour of physical activity each day. Part of this time should be spent in unstructured play. Exercise helps children maintain healthy weights, sleep better, and supports muscle growth.
- 0 sugary drinks. Soda and other drinks with added sugar are not healthy for children. It is recommended to offer children water or low fat/fat free milk. Juice should be limited to 1 cup per day. It is also recommended to keep caffeinated beverages at a "0" level too.
"9-5-2-1-0" is easy to remember and easy to do.
"9-5-2-1-0" reminds us all that healthy habits are the key to good health for our children and families.
(95210 for Health message is Copyright © 2011, Community Health Solutions, Inc. and used with permission.)
For more information, please contact:
Karen A. Ridings, M.S., R.D.
Family Consumer Sciences Agent
firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-665-5699