The ancient African proverb, "It takes a village to raise a child" rings true today when thinking about the health of our children.
Childhood obesity and diabetes is on the rise. Parents, schools, medical providers, local farmers, and local governments can all work together to promote healthy lifestyles.
9-5-2-1-0 for Health developed by the Northern Virginia Healthy Kids Coalition can provide guidelines to help communities and families set goals.
9 - Hours of sleep
• Help your child to unwind before bed with a book.
5 - Servings of fruit and vegetables per day
• Consider visiting a local farm market to interest your children in fruit and vegetables.
2 - Limit screen time to two hours or less outside of school
• Move your child away from the screen by helping them develop new interests.
1 - Get at least one hour of physical activity each day
• Encourage children to play outside when possible. Check out programs in your local communities.
0 - Eliminate sugar-added beverages
• Offer children water to quench their thirst. Avoid soda and other high calorie beverages.
Contact your local Virginia Cooperative Extension office to get a listing of local farm markets in your area! http://www.ext.vt.edu/