I would like to tell you about an upcoming job fair event to be held from 9 a.m. - 2 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 29 at the Hilton Garden Inn in Winchester.
This exciting event is sponsored by the First Step Interfaith Alliance of Frederick County.
The enormous efforts of a group of dedicated volunteers have resulted in a number of area employers and support agencies participating in the October 29th job fair.
You can expect the following employers: Manpower, Rubbermaid, Stowe-Woodward, Mercury Paper, Via Satellite, wachovia and American Woodmark.
Service agencies include: First Step, The Virginia Employment Commission, SkillsUSA, "Continuing Education" table with info from LFCC Workforce Solutions and possibly American Public University, Department of Rehabilitative Services, Northern Shenandoah Valley Adult Education, Highland Memorial Presbyterian Church (health fair info) and the Career Finders Networking Support Group.
It's important to prepare in advance for a job fair:
- Research and familiarize yourself with the companies attending the job fair
- Bring lots of copies of your resume as well as writing utensils and a note pad
- Dress professionally and practice good hygiene
- There will be lots and lots of people AND long lines. BRING YOUR PATIENCE!!!
- Use a job fair to network, practice your "elevator speech" and pass out your resumes
- Your perfect job may or may not be found at a job fair
- Do not expect an immediate call back!
I will be conducting "Maximizing Your Job Fair Experience" workshop at 9:30 a.m. Thursday, Oct. 28 in order to assist you with your job fair preparation and expectations. This workshop will be held at the Virginia Employment Commission/Winchester Workforce Center on 522 South St.