I have come across some great miscellaneous job-hunting tips and ideas to share:
1. Have an accountability coach. This person should not be your spouse! An accountability coach is a person who helps you remain focused, motivated and on task with your job-hunting goals. If you are not accountable to anyone for anything it is easy for your job search to turn willy-nilly. Consider asking someone to track your progress and remind you to keep focused. Many times you are more likely to get something done if you know you will be asked about it later on! Even just saying a goal out loud to someone else that I respect (and invest in!) and assigning a date to it prompts me to commit to get it done!
2. Write a "job search newsletter." Format a little newsletter to send to folks on your e-mail distribution list (or maybe a Christmas Card list) that includes positions and places you have applied for jobs. This may lead to helpful networking opportunities.
3. Have a business card. Consider making or purchasing (www.vistaprint.com) a business card which lists your contact information on one side and your skills and abilities on the other side. When mailing Christmas cards or any other correspondence for that matter, stick one of your business cards in the envelope. This will help people to remember what you're looking for and how to contact you.
If you have any unique tips you have been using, please let me know!
Virginia Employment Commission Schedule week of Nov 22:
- Tuesday Nov. 23 @ 8:30 a.m. - Networking Job Club
- Tuesday Nov 23 @ 9:30 a.m. - "High Definition" Resume Writing
- Wednesday Nov 24 - Office Closes at noon
- Thursday, Nov. 25, and Friday, Nov. 26 - Office Closed
Kind regards -