I hope you have been following my series on Creating Your 2011 Job Search Action Plan. We are at Steps 6 and 7:
Goal setting and New Year's resolutions
Step 6: Utilizing your "online" time effectively
- There are over 40,000 job boards on theInternet. Obviously, you are not going to surf them all! Make sure you are spending efficient time on job boards. Please keep in mind that only 10-20 percent of all jobs even get posted!
- Set up "virtual recruiters" or "alerts." By directing your search efforts to a specific type of occupation(s) and/or geographic area, you can set up e-mail alerts to notify you on a daily basis when a job match has been posted. The iPhone even has an app for notifying you when a job match has been found!
- Spend time on employer websites and industry specific websites
- Utilize www.Linkedin.com to research "Persons of Interest"
- If you are like me, I sit in front of the computer at home with good intentions of getting some work done. Before I know it, I end up on Ebay, Facebook or playing solitaire! Maybe you are setting in front of the computer for eight hours a day, but is that really quality time?
Step 7: Tracking your applications
- It seems that every website that you visit insists that you have a username and a password to apply for a job. Problem is, they all have different requirements for creating a username and password. It is almost impossible to keep up with all the usernames and passwords we have had to create.
- Instead of writing usernames and passwords on random bits of scrap paper, consider a centralized place, maybe a notebook or excel spread sheet that you can log the website address, your user name and password and the position you applied for. This will make it easier for you to be able to check you application status without having to look for those tiny scraps of paper!
- FYI ...There is actually software you can download to track your username and passwords!
We are getting close to finishing our 2011 Job Search Action. I will conclude this series with Step 8: Networking and Step 9: Follow Through.
YES!!! I will be conducting a workshop this week!
Tuesday, Dec. 28: Networking Job Club
Tuesday, Dec. 28: Preparing for a Behavioral Based Interview.
I hope you are enjoying the holiday season with friends and family.
Warm regards -