Over the next few weeks, I will outline the details and steps necessary to come up with an effective Job Search Action Plan (JSAP). I'll cover two steps per blog post (Steps 1 & 2 have already been posted). This should give you time to complete each step without being overwhelmed! Let's set a goal to have our 2011 JSAP plan in place by Jan. 1. We are moving on to step 3 research and step 4 self enchancement.
Explore your options through research
- Once you have defined your strengths, weakness and interests, research occupations and employers that could lead to a fulfilling future.
- Utilize the internet (company websites, LinkedIn and social networks) to conduct thorough research.
- Think in terms of short term/long term goals to achieve your "Master Plan."
Work on self enhancement
- It is important to not "let yourself go" while unemployed. What I mean is don't let your skills and experience lag.
- Try your best to remain current in industry trends and technology.
- There are 1,000's (an excellent example www.gcflearnfree.org) of websites where you can take FREE online courses. Goodwill Learning Foundation offers FREE courses in computers, money management, reading and math
- Make it a point to always look your best, you never know who you will run into
- Attend the Virginia Employment Commission/Winchester Workforce Center FREE employment workshops
My next blog post will cover Step 5 (Developing Marketing Materials).
Please share your job search goals for 2011 and let me know if I can be of assistance.
Kind regards -