I tend to think of myself as a crossbreed of Type "A" & "B" personalities. Let me explain. I tend to obsessively plan ahead but try to do so in a calm relaxing manor. What I am trying to get at is it is time to think about setting your employment-related goals for 2011. In order to get where you want to go (a new job), you need to plan how to get there. By setting goals, you can then develop strong action plans. This information applies to those currently out of work, those in an unstable work environment or those just wanting a change.
Over the next few weeks, I will outline the details and steps necessary to come up with an effective Job Search Action Plan (JSAP).
- Make the time and an emotional commitment to plan an effective job search.
- Prepare yourself for the skills, hard work and emotions that are associated with full time job hunting.
- Consider having an "accountability coach " - see blog post dated Nov. 19.
- Commit to accomplishing at least one (or more!) thing a day related to your job search.
Reflect on who you are and what you want. Take some time on this step because if you are unfocused on your job search you will end up with mediocrity and in worst case a job in which you are unhappy and unfulfilled.
- Decide if you want a job change or a career change-there is a big difference!
- Take a look at your interests, hobbies and volunteering efforts?
- What are your strengths?
- Identify and work toward improving your weaknesses.
- Consider taking an assessment test.
My next blog post will cover Steps 3 (Research) and 4 (self enhancement).
Please share your job search goals for 2011 and let me know if I can be of assistance.
Kind regards -