NVDAILY.COM | Re-Employment Tips
Posted February 2, 2012 | Leave a comment
Staying positive during a long stretch of unemployment
If you have been out of work a while, this is sort of a good news/bad news thing. Good news, you're normal -- it is taking lots of people a long time to land a job. Bad news -- any amount of time unemployed seems like forever!
As time marches on, it's hard to keep a positive attitude, but you must continue to look forward, keep focused, and remain optimistic. Here are a few quick tips on how to keep on track with a positive attitude:
1. Look forward, not backwards -- what is done is done. Speaking from experience, losing a job is devastating. I do not need to tell you it is like a break up of a relationship or even a death, but wallowing in misery will not change the fact that your future is changing and you must move on.
2. Set specific goals -- set realistic and measurable goals to help stay on track. An example would be committing to yourself to sending out five resumes or applications a week, cultivate your network by reaching out to five people who are not part of your current network and maybe, finally, scrub out your refrigerator!
3. Learn new skills -- volunteering or taking a class can be very rewarding. You will learn new skills which will increase your marketability, fill a gap on your resume and be doing something nice for someone (or something) in return!
4. Evaluate your job search strategy -- if your current job search methods are not reaping any results, it is time to try something new. Attend the Re-Employment Workshops at the Winchester Workforce Center for the best methods to market yourself and find opportunities.
4. Do something fun! Do not spend every hour of every day of every week trolling job boards. All this will do is sink you further into despair. I think that for most folks, being out of work leaves a crater-size hole in your wallet and can limit activities, but find something rewarding and positive to engage in. On a personal note, while I was out of work, the highlight of my week was going to the library and checking out (for FREE!) the latest DVDs and magazines. Not as exciting as Kings Dominion, but sometimes we just have to lower the level on our "fun-o-meter"!
Workshops for the week of Feb. 6-10
Offered two days this week! Tuesday Feb. 7, 2012 @ 9 a.m. AND Thursday, Feb. 9 @ 2 p.m.: Attend a Re-Employment Workshop and learn to create a professional resume that will get you call backs! Covers how to present your professional work history and gain helpful formatting suggestions. An explanation and presentation on how to create a plain text resume will be included.
Best wishes --
Copyright © The Northern Virginia Daily | nvdaily.com | 152 N. Holliday St., Strasburg, Va. 22657 | (800) 296-5137