The following are closings and event cancellations and postponements:
• The George Washington and Jefferson National Forests are temporarily shutting down trailhead facilities and other access points to the Appalachian National Scenic Trail. For a complete of list of access sites affected by these changes and status updates visit www.fs.usda.gov/recmain/gwj/recreation.
• The George Washington and Jefferson National forests has announced a temporary shutdown of recreation areas and campgrounds. The Forest Service has also temporarily shut down all off-highway trails and recreations areas on the Lee Ranger District. Changes affect the following trails and facilities: Peters Mill Run/Taskers Gap OHV Trail Complex, Wolf Gap Campground and Picnic Area, Little Fort Campground, Elizabeth Furnace Family Campground, Day Use Area and Group Camp, Camp Roosevelt Campground and Picnic Area, Trout Pond Recreation Campground, Day Use Area, and Rockcliff Lake, Hawk Campground and Group Camp, Lions Tale National Recreation Trail Restroom. National Forest trails and roads remain open for public use. For status updates, visit FS.USDA.gov/recmain/gwj/recreation.
• The George Washington and Jefferson National Forests are shutting down off-highway vehicle (OHV) trail systems. This applies to the following OHV areas: Glenwood-Pedlar Ranger District - South Pedlar ATV Trail System and the Lee Ranger District - Peters Mill Run/Taskers Gap OHV System.
• Warren County has restricted the use of county parks to trails and outdoor spaces only. Park restrooms, playgrounds and picnic shelters are closed to the public. The county community center and indoor/outdoor recreation facilities remain closed. Registration for classes and events is temporarily disabled on its website. Events and organized activities are cancelled; this includes use by sports leagues. Equipment rental is not available at this time. Warren County Parks and Recreation Department offices remain open but are closed to the public. Information: 540-635-7750, 540-635-1021 or email at email@example.com.
• The Front Royal Golf Club is open to the general public. During use of these areas, individuals must at all times maintain social distancing.
• All performances at Shenandoah Conservatory have been canceled through the remainder of the semester. Visit conservatoryperforms.org for the most up-to-date information about performances and events.
• Rappahannock Electric Cooperative has closed its offices to the public. Members are urged to use remote payment options. Online and phone options for doing business include the following:
Power outage reporting: call 1-800-552-3904 or go online to www.myrec.coop/out.
Payment extensions: 800-552-3904 or online at www.myrec.coop. REC will not disconnect members for nonpayment or charge fees during the state of emergency.
• Martinsburg VA has suspended all visitations. The only exceptions will be end-of-life care in its long-term care units and approved care partners on a case-by-case basis. All elective surgeries/procedures have been canceled; all non-urgent routine dental care has been postponed; valet parking has been temporarily suspended.
• The Shenandoah County Government Center in Woodstock is closed to the public.
• All Social Security Administration offices have closed to the public. Online services will remain available at www.socialsecurity.gov. Information over the phone is available by calling 800-772-1213, which has automated service options. Please visit our COVID-19 web page at www.socialsecurity.gov/coronavirus to find out what services are continuing and which ones have been suspended, how to contact us, and important information about deadlines we are extending to ease the burden on you and medical providers during this pandemic. A list of automated telephone services is available online at www.socialsecurity.gov/agency/contact/phone.html.
• Loaves and Fishes at Manor Memorial United Methodist Church in New Market has closed to the public. If you are in need of emergency food during this time, please call the church office. Office hours are 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday-Thursday at 540-740-8959.
• The Shenandoah County Library System has closed its branches to the public. Branches are located in Edinburg, Basye-Orkney Springs, Fort Valley, Mount Jackson, New Market and Strasburg. The accrual of overdue fines will be temporarily suspended. Information: www.countylib.org.
• The Virginia Museum of the Civil War and New Market Battlefield State Historical Park will be closed to the public until April 17. Information: 866- 515-1864 or visit www.vmi.edu.
• The Handley Regional Library System has closed to the public. Branches include Handley in Winchester, Bowman in Stephens City and Clarke County in Berryville. The library is contacting patrons regarding current hold pickups and will offer drive-thru/outdoor pickups. All fines will be temporarily suspended. Outside book drops have been closed. The link for virtual programs and resources for families is https://tinyurl.com/vtuz5xd. There are 500 online classes offered at https://tinyurl.com/tp998a4 by logging in with your library card. Information: 540-662-9041 at Handley; 540-869-9000 at Bowman Library; 540-955-5144 at Clarke County Library or visit online at www.handleyregional.org which has a 24-hour digital library, digital online streaming of movies, books, TV, music and more, eBooks, music and more, and library podcasts.
• AARP TAXAIDE services being offered through April 15 at the War Memorial Building in Winchester have been suspended until further notice.
• Mount Jackson has closed its main office to the public. Information: 540-477-2121, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Woodstock has closed its town office and police department to the public. Information: 540-459-3621.
• New Market has closed its town office and police department to the public. Information: 540-740-3432.
• The Strasburg Town Hall is closed to the public. Information: 540-465-9197.
• Our Hometown Diner, located at 107 Water St., Front Royal, is closed.
• Shenandoah Valley Electric Cooperative has closed its front offices to the public. The drive-up window will remain open. Information: 800-234-7832 or www.svec-online.coop.
• The Front Royal Women's Resource Center has closed its office to the public through April 10. Many of the scheduled events will now be held online. Information: email email@example.com or visit www.frwrc.org.
• The Museum of the Shenandoah Valley has closed its office and buildings at 901 Amherst St., Winchester. Programming and events are canceled until May 12. The MSV gardens and the outdoor exhibition David Rogers' Big Bugs will open on April 18. Information: www.theMSV.org.
• The Town of Front Royal has closed its offices to the public. Permit applications through the Department of Planning and Zoning will be accepted only through U.S. mail at Town of Front Royal, Department of Planning and Zoning, 102 E. Main St., Front Royal, Virginia 22630 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Approvals will be returned by mail or email accordingly. The Department of Finance drive-thru lanes will remain open during normal business hours. The right lane will be used for payments only and the left lane will be used for additional transactions, such as change of utility service requests. During this state of emergency, the town will NOT disconnect utility service due to nonpayment nor will the town assess late fees or penalties. The finance department may be reached at 540-635-7799. To avoid long delays the Town strongly encourages citizens to use an alternative method of payment including: www.frontroyalva.com/373/Online-Payments (utilities and tax payments); by telephone at 540-635-7799; by mail to P.O. Box 1560, Front Royal, Virginia 22630; or the drop box is located on the outside of the building just before the drive-thru window.
• The Town of Front Royal is waiving all credit card fees for those paying their bills online or by phone beginning April 1 and ending June 30.
• The Preservation for Historic Winchester office is open to the public by appointment only at 530 Amherst St., Winchester. Information: 540-667-3577.
• Arlington National Cemetery has closed its Welcome Center to the public. Funerals and family pass holder visitations continue to be held daily from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Information: www.ArlingtonCemetery.mil.
• Virginia State Parks remain open for day-use activities. Overnight accommodations and all indoor facilities are closed through April 30.
• The Frederick County Public Works and Building Inspections departments have changed its operating hours to 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 107 N. Kent St., Winchester.
The following activities have been rescheduled:
• Belle Grove Plantation in Middletown has rescheduled its opening to April 24. Information: www.bellegrove.org.
• The Virginia Gold Cup has rescheduled the opening of its season to June 20 in The Plains.
• All Shenandoah County Extension meetings and events have been canceled through April 30. The Master Gardener Volunteer “Greenhelpline” is available through email at email@example.com. The Extension office has created a link where resources, updates and cancellations have been posted: https://ext.vt.edu/covid-19updates.
The site also includes information on online programming, activities for kids, food preparation and safety and farmers market and U-Pick farm guidelines. Information: 540-459-6140.
• Frederick County Parks and Recreation has closed or canceled all programs, sports leagues, basic REC, community centers, trips and private indoor rentals. All park playgrounds, playing fields and restrooms are closed. The park is still open for passive leisure activities such as walking. For a complete list of closing and cancellations visit https://tinyurl.com/qwz5qro.
• Shenandoah Conservatory has canceled all performances through May 20. Information: www.conservatoryperforms.org.
• Sky Meadows State Park in Delaplane has canceled all activities being held in April. Information: 540-592-3556 or www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks.
• The Schultz Theatre Off Broadway Players have canceled its performances in April of “Same Time, Next Year” and in May of “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.” The next performance will be “Christmas Belles” in July. Information: 540-896-9600 or http://offbroadwayplayersva.org.
Events canceled or postponed by date:
• Apple Valley Needle Threaders have canceled all April meetings. The club meets on the second Thursday of each month at 9:30 a.m. at VFW Post 9760, 425 S. Buckmarsh St., Berryvile. Information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Samuels Library in Front Royal has cancelled all of its programming through April 23.
• Winchester Trout Unlimited has canceled all activities in April. Information: Bill Prokopchak at 540-722-2620 or www.winchestertu.org.
• Lord Fairfax Community College has canceled its Focus on Health Employment and Education fair.
• The legislative breakfast sponsored by the Shenandoah County Chamber of Commerce scheduled for April 8 at Rutz's Catering in Edinburg has been canceled.
• The Woodstock-Edinburg Active Adult Fellowship monthly meeting scheduled at the Edinburg VFW has been canceled.
The meeting of the Rotary Club of Warren County has been canceled.
• The New Market Area Library has canceled its adult program on April 11 featuring author Marc Leepson, who was to talk about his book “Saving Monticello.”
• The Virginia Association of Retired Educators has canceled its meetings for April 14 and May 12 in Harrisonburg.
• The Shenandoah Valley chapter of Phi Delta Kappa International has cancelled its meeting scheduled for April 16 at Traditions Restaurant in Harrisonburg. Information about a virtual Chalk Walk to raise money for scholarships can be found at https://tinyurl.com/r8kd3nw.
• The Swing for the Kids golf tournament benefiting St. Jude's Hospital sponsored by ESA-Delta Rho-Front Royal has been cancelled at Blue Ridge Shadows.
• The New Market Library preschool story-time program has been canceled.
• The Town of New Market volunteer appreciation pancake breakfast has been canceled.
• The Woodstock Rotary Club's shrimp and catfish dinner has been postponed until Aug. 15.
• The Earth Day event In Woodstock sponsored by Sustainability Matters has been canceled.
• The Fort Valley Fire Department has canceled its ham and oyster supper. There will be no bingo in April.
St. Peter's Lutheran Church in Toms Brook has canceled its potpie fundraiser.
• The Town of New Market and New Market Area Library Arbor Day celebration has been canceled.
• Shenandoah County SEARCH has canceled its High Tea fundraiser at the Mount Jackson Moose Lodge.
• Columbia Furnace Community Club steak supper scheduled for April 25 is canceled.
• The Cars For a Cause Relay for Life car show scheduled for April 25 at Shenandoah University has been canceled.
• Shenandoah County Public Schools has canceled the Staff Excellence banquet at the Yellow Barn.
• The Republic Party of Virginia has postponed its quadrennial state convention scheduled for May 1-2 at the Greater Richmond Convention Center.
• The Virginia Gold Cup Association in The Plains has postponed its Cup Races until June 20. All pre-purchased tickets will be honored. Information: www.vagoldcup.com.
• The Shenandoah County Education Association has cancelled its spring dinner, memorial service and scholarship presentation scheduled for May 6 at Peter Muhlenberg Middle School in Woodstock. The next meeting will be a breakfast meeting in the fall. For more information visit https://tinyurl.com/szzyxzb.
• The TRIAD Conference scheduled for May 7 at the Woodstock Moose Lodge has been canceled. Information: 540-459-6777.
• Belle Grove Plantation in Middletown has canceled Of Ale and History beer fest scheduled for May 9.
• The Marine Corps historic half-weekend event scheduled for May 15-17 has been canceled. A refund on registration fees will not be provided. A new deadline of May 16 is available for those wanting a deferred entry or transfer to a virtual race. Current registrants will receive a 30% loyalty discount on future races. Information: MCMCustomerService@usmc-mccs.org.
• The Virginia Museum of the Civil War in New Market has canceled the New Market Battlefield re-enactment scheduled for May 16-17. Information: 866-515-1864 or visit www.vmi.edu.
• Belle Grove Plantation in Middletown has canceled the Northern Shenandoah Valley Master Gardener Association GardenFest scheduled for June 6.
• Farm to Fork Shenandoah, a bicycle event planned for Sept. 13 at Belle Grove Plantation in Middletown, has been postponed until Sept. 12, 2021.
- Starting Wednesday, March 25th, 2020, repeats every day until Thursday, April 30, 2020 — all day
- Area health care workers running short of supplies for pandemic
- Little League on hold due to Coronavirus
- RSW working to keep staff, inmates safe
- Banks nationwide face rush of applications for COVID-19 assistance
- Governor urges Virginians to wear masks in public
- Family practice maintains community presence despite changes
- County to hold one more meeting before adopting budget
- Financial adviser points to optimism for investors