Shayne Serna, a Navy hospital corpsman, is serving in Spain at Naval Hospital Rota where she is responsible for assisting and providing medical care for active duty, reserve, civilian employees and dependent families.
Naval Station Rota is operationally equipped with four forward-deployed Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyers tasked to enhance the ballistic missile defense of the European region.
Serving in the Navy is a continuing tradition of military service for Serna, whose stepfather was a Navy SEAL during the Vietnam war. She has earned Letters of Commendation for participating in flight surgeon graduations and she received a specialty in aviation medicine.
A resident of Stephens City, she is a 2016 graduate of Sherando High School.
Shenandoah County 4-H and FFA have the following activities planned during the county fair Sunday through Sept. 1:
• Sunday: 12:30 p.m., weigh-in for swine, lambs and goats; 5:30 p.m., open meeting followed by livestock grading and sheep showmanship workshops.
• Monday: 8 a.m., sheep showmanship, market and open shows; 1 p.m., grading of market steers, lambs, goats and hogs; 6:30 p.m., sheep showmanship workshop.
• Aug. 28: 8 a.m., livestock weigh-in for steers; 10 a.m., beef showmanship and market steer show; 6:30 p.m., goat and swine showmanship workshops.
• Aug. 29: 8 a.m., swine showmanship, market and breeding show; 10 a.m., goat showmanship, market and breeding shows; 6:30 p.m., dairy showmanship workshop followed by beef-fitting workshop.
• Aug. 30: 9 a.m., open breeding beef show; 5 p.m., open dairy showmanship and show.
• Aug. 31: 10 a.m., cattle-fitting contest; 2 p.m., goat obstacle course; 6 p.m., pretty animal contest.
• Sept. 1: 3:30 p.m., livestock sale of goats, milk, steers, lambs and hogs.
The Fort Valley Ruritan Club will have a concession stand open daily at 4 p.m. Sunday through Sept. 1 at the Shenandoah County Fair. Information: www.fortvalleyruritan.org.
The Blue Ridge Center for Therapeutic Horsemanship is registering new students for an eight-week therapeutic riding session that begins Sept. 4 for children, from age 4, and adults with special needs.
Lessons are provided Monday through Thursday afternoons and Saturdays at 644 Lime Marl Lane in Millwood.
An exhibit of contemporary art is on display through December at the Shenandoah Museum of Contemporary Art at 411 E. King St., Strasburg.
The exhibit features the works of Yoko Ono, Viggo Mortensen, Nina Levy, Loren J. Munk, Terry Ward and others. Information: www.tinyurl.com/artfunva.
Tyre Yancey returned to the New Market Area Library on Sept. 18 for the third program in his series of talks on the changes in physical landscape for farming and farming methods.
Yancey used his extensive photography collection, vintage newspaper articles, posters and farm implements to illustrate the evidence for vanishing farms in our region.
He will return Sept. 15 for the final program in his series.
Yancey, a retired farmer, lives in Dayton.
The state Arboretum at Blandy Farm in Boyce will host a full moon walk from 8 to 9 p.m. Sunday.
Those attending should meet outside the Blandy Library. Cost: $10 to $25. Registration required by calling 540-837-1758 or visit www.blandy.virginia.edu.
Send in your events at http://www.nvdaily.com/submit-news.