The Women’s Memorial Society will hold its annual memorial service at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at the Confederate Monument in St. Matthew’s Cemetery in New Market. The guest speaker will be Keven Walker, CEO of the Shenandoah Battlefields Foundation.
The service will include special music, readings and laying of a memorial wreath. In case of inclement weather, the service will be held at Reformation Lutheran Church.
Information: Barbara Blakey at email@example.com.
The Virginia Museum of the Civil War will host a tour of the New Market Battlefield from 2 to 4 p.m. Tuesday.
Site Director Lt. Col. Troy D. Marshall will explain the action as it took place 154 years ago with accounts of battles in the words of the soldiers who were there.
The tour includes a visit to the Bushong House and a movie. The cost is $20 per person. Preregistration required. Information, registration: www.tinyurl.com/y7woc57c.
The Bread of Life Food Pantry will distribute food from 1 to 4 p.m. Tuesday and May 17 at the Woodstock United Methodist Church. Information: 459-4144.
Samuels Public Library in Front Royal has announced the following children’s activities will be held:
• Makers Club: 4:30 p.m., Tuesday, STEM program on dinosaurs.
• Toddler storytime: 10:15 a.m., Wednesday and Thursday.
• Preschool storytime: 11 a.m., Wednesday and Thursday.
The Compassion Cupboard will distribute food from 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 3 p.m. Tuesday at 533 Burgess St., Strasburg. Information: 465-9476.
The Lord Fairfax Soil Water Conservation District will sponsor a soil health workshop for children and adults from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at 295 Park Road, Strasburg. Information: 540-465-2424.
Samuels Public Library in Front Royal will hold the following programs for adults:
• Downloading media: 6 p.m., Tuesday. Bring personal laptop, smart phone or eReader.
• Books and Beyond: 10 a.m., Wednesday. The book to be discussed will be “Leaving Time” by Jodi Picoult.
The Winchester Women of the Moose Angels Relay for Life Team will hold a bake sale from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. today at Split End Hair Salon in Stephens City.
A chicken barbecue to benefit the Massanutten Antique Tractor Club will be held starting at 9:30 a.m. Saturday at the Wholesome Foods pit in Edinburg.
The cost is $4 per half. Chicken can also be picked up at the Exxon Station on Route 11 in Edinburg or the Food Lion Shopping Center in Mount Jackson. Preorders: Janet at 459-7768.
An indoor yard and bake sale will be held from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at the Hudson Crossroads Community Center in Mount Jackson. Proceeds will benefit the community outreach program.
The White House Farm Foundation will host a nature photography workshop and nature walk along the Shenandoah River from 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday in Luray.
Information: email firstname.lastname@example.org.
NAMI Connection Recovery Support Groups, for adults with various types of mental illnesses, will meet on the following schedule:
- Front Royal: 7-8:30 p.m., first and third Tuesdays at Warren Memorial Hospital in Front Royal, conference room next to cafeteria.
- Luray-Page County: 6:30-8 p.m., first and third Tuesdays at Page Memorial Hospital, Luray, enter through main entrance, turn left to Administrative Board Room.
- Winchester: 7-8:30 p.m., Mondays at Winchester Medical Center Valley Health System Support building, 220 Campus Blvd., Winchester, ground-floor conference room #1.
- Winchester: noon-1:30 p.m., at NAMI office, 411 N. Cameron St., Winchester.
- Woodstock: contact NAMI for time and location.
The Friends of Handley Regional Library will hold its annual meeting at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the library.
The speaker will be Brad Parks, a Virginia author who will discuss his latest release, “Closer Than You Know.”
The Brain Injury Recovery Group will meet from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Thursday in the Shenandoah University Health Professional building at Winchester Medical Center, 1840 Amherst St., Winchester.
Information: Kathleen Mancini at TBI@mindspring.com or Betty Friant at 540-550-1784.
The Shenandoah County Library’s Lego Club will meet at 4:30 p.m. Thursday for ages 5 and older. Information: 540-984-8200.
Sustainability Matters will hold a community plant, seed and produce swap from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday at W.O. Riley Park in Woodstock.
Swaps will be held monthly on the third Thursday. Information: email sustainabilitymattersVA@gmail.com.
Strasburg High School will present the murder mystery musical, “Winston LaCrois is Dead” at 8 p.m. Thursday, 11 a.m. Saturday and 6 p.m. Sunday in the school’s old gymnasium.
Tickets are $7 at the door or $5.50 online at www.strasburgmusical.seatyourself.biz.
Send in your events at http://www.nvdaily.com/submit-news.