This Weekend: Aug. 17
The following are some of the area events that will be held this weekend:
Friday Night Live
Robbie Limon will perform at tonight’s Friday Night Live event from 5 to 11 p.m. on the Old Town Mall in Winchester. Information: 540-535-3661 or www.VisitOTW.com.
Vinyl Tracks will present an all-Beatles tribute show at the Gazebo Gatherings concert at 7 p.m. today in Front Royal.
History at Sunset
Cedar Creek and Belle Grove National Historic Park will host a History at Sunset program at 7 p.m. today at St. Thomas Chapel, 7854 Church St., Middletown. Information: www.nps.gov/cebe.
The Strasburg Community Garden will host a Harvest Festival celebrating the first harvest from the community garden from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at the town park. Activities include gardening demonstrations, a farmer’s market, vendors, kid’s zone, food and more. Those attending are asked to bring a non-perishable food item to donate to Restore Hope House.
Information: Ali Sloop at 540-465-2424 ext. 111 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Film and Float
The Clearbrook Park Pool will host Film and Float at dusk Saturday, showing the movie “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.” Admission is $5. Children 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult. Information: 540-665-5678.
Civil War weekend
Belle Grove Plantation and Kernstown Battlefield will participate in the Civil War Weekend in the Shenandoah Valley Saturday and Sunday. Activities include:
- Kernstown Battlefield, 610 Battle Park Drive, Winchester: today through Sunday, living history program in front of the Pritchard House with the 1st Maryland Infantry Regiment and Company D of the 2nd Maryland Infantry, walking and driving tours starting at 10 a.m. Saturday; 10 a.m., Sunday, author Jerry Holsworth will give a talk and 1 p.m. local historian Jeff Chamberlin will discuss the old homes of Winchester and Frederick County. The 1854 Pritchard House, Museum and Artillery Annex will be open. Information: 757-593-8227, 202-302-9129 or www.kernstownbattle.org.
- Belle Grove Plantation in Middletown: Saturday 11:30 a.m., Battle of Cedar Creek in a Box; 2:30 p.m., glimpse into the life of Judah the enslaved cook; 3-3:30 p.m., update on archaeology of the slave quarter site; Sunday at 2:30 p.m., Battle of Cedar Creek in a Box. Information: 540-869-2028 or www.bellegrove.org.
The Virginia Museum of the Civil War in New Market will celebrate Jacob Bushong’s birthday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday with a lawn party, historians, dancing, games and more. The event is free.
Admission to the historic Bushong Farm and museum is $10 for adults, $9 for seniors 65 and older, $6 for children ages 6 to 12 and free for ages 5 and under. Information: www.vmi.edu/museums-and-archives/virginia-museum-of-the-civil-war.
Old Town Winchester will host history and cemetery tours Saturday at 10 a.m. at 2 N. Cameron St. and 1 p.m. at the gatehouse of Mt. Hebron Cemetery. Tickets are $5. Reservations: 540-542-1326.
Middletown will host a car and truck show from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday on Main Street. Information: 540-877-4594.
Evenings on Main
The Souled Out Band will perform from 7 to 9 p.m. today as part of the Evenings on Main Concert Series at Ruffner Plaza in Luray. In case of rain, the concert will be held at Performing Arts Luray. Admission is free.
Sky Meadows State Park in Delaplane will host the following activities this weekend:
- National Honeybee Day: 11 a.m.-4 p.m., Saturday.
- Children’s Discovery Area: 6:30-8:30 p.m., Saturday featuring an art station, grow and make food, dancing to the Barnyard Band, fishing parks program, scavenger hunt.
- Explorer Outpost: 10 a.m.-1 p.m., Saturday and Sunday at the Boston Mill Road Trail near the park office.
- Monarch Day: 1-3 p.m., Sunday at the Children’s Discovery area.
Admission is free although parking ranges from $3 to $5. Information: 540-592-3556 or www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks.
Barns of Rose Hill
The Barns of Rose Hill will host a performance by Chris Timbers at 8 p.m. Saturday at 95 Chalmers Court, Berryville. Tickets: $15 in advance, $20 at the door. Information: 540-955-2004 or www.barnsofrosehill.com.
Magic Lantern Theater
Magic Lantern Theater will present “Dr. Strangelove” at dusk (about 8:30 p.m.) today at Veramar Vineyard in Berryville as part of the Movies in the Vineyard series.
Admission is $8. Bring lawn chairs, blanket, picnic. Information, tickets: 540-678-0963 or www.magiclanterntheater.org.