Domestic assault incident sends two to hospital

WOODSTOCK – Shenandoah County authorities charged a Maurertown man Tuesday in a domestic assault incident that left one person with severe head injuries.

WOODSTOCK – Shenandoah County authorities charged a Maurertown man Tuesday in a domestic assault incident that left one person with severe head injuries.

Shenandoah County Sheriff’s Office deputies arrested Phillip Houston Moore, 48, of 1760 Sugar Hill Road, Maurertown, and charged him with malicious wounding, two counts each of assault and battery of a family member, abduction and strangulation as well as three counts of preventing calls to 911. Deputies also charged Moore with fleeing a law enforcement officer and obstruction of justice or resisting arrest.

Capt. Wesley Dellinger said Wednesday that an adult female and a juvenile female were transported by ambulance to Shenandoah Memorial Hospital in Woodstock. The adult female was then flown to another hospital for further treatment, Dellinger added.

Court records indicate that Moore had been charged in October with violating a protective order and obstruction of justice. Moore was awaiting a hearing this week on those charges when the alleged incidents occurred Tuesday.

Moore appeared before Judge Kevin C. Black in Shenandoah County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court on Wednesday and is scheduled to appear in General District Court on Friday for two of the charges. Moore remains held without bond at Rappahannock-Shenandoah-Warren Regional Jail.

A criminal complaint filed with Moore’s charges states that Shenandoah County Sheriff’s Deputy J.K. DeMay was dispatched at 6:17 a.m. Tuesday to 1760 Sugar Hill Lane for a report of a domestic assault. Prior to DeMay’s arrival, dispatchers received three calls to 911 in which they could hear two female voices “screaming for help” while a male voice could be heard yelling at them, the complaint states. The male would take the phone and hang up each time, the complaint notes.

DeMay arrived at the location at 6:44 a.m. and attempted to make contact with the residents.

“DeMay could hear screaming coming from inside the residence,” the complaint states.

Deputy J. Cowgill looked through a window at the rear of the residence and saw Moore with his right arm around a female’s neck and his left arm around another female’s neck, the complaint notes. DeMay tried unsuccessfully to kick in the door. Cowgill entered the residence by knocking open the door with a sledgehammer.

“Upon making entry Moore took both (females) to the floor in the kitchen in an attempt to hold onto them,” the complaint states. “DeMay and Cowgill gave verbal commands to Moore, and he refused.

“DeMay and Cowgill went hands on with Moore and were able to free both (females) from his arms,” the complaint states. “Moore resisted arrest until Cowgill and DeMay were able to secure him in handcuffs to the rear.”

DeMay spoke with one of the victims who said that around 4:30 a.m. Moore accused her of poisoning him, the complaint states. Moore put his hands on the victim and began to hit her head repeatedly and choked her so that she could not breathe, according to the complaint states.

The victim was checked at the scene by emergency rescue workers who said she sustained a concussion, a black eye and a mouth filled with blood and abrasions around the neck consistent with strangulation, the complaint states. The victim could not recall how many times she had been hit and noted she did lose consciousness. The other female victim said Moore choked her as well and could not breathe during the incident, the complaint states. Moore refused to let them leave and put his arms around them when they tried, the complaint adds.

An affidavit for a search warrant filed in Shenandoah County Circuit Court on Wednesday also provided details about the incident.

“It was later determined that the victim had sustained significant head trauma that required medical intervention from (neurosurgeons,) however, during an interview, the victim indicated that Moore was (attempting) to access a firearm in the house when initial responding officers arrived and she felt as though he was going to ‘kill’ her,” the affidavit states.

Authorities seized a revolver, five rifles, a shotgun and ammunition from Moore’s residence, according to the inventory filed with search warrant.