A fire severely damaged the kitchen and living room of a home on Massanutten Drive in Edinburg around 11:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Shenandoah County Fire Marshal Dave Ferguson said the fire originated from an electrical short of the baseboard heater between the kitchen and the living room. Firefighters were able to contain the fire to those two rooms, but smoke damage pervaded other areas within the house as well.

The only two occupants at the time of the fire were Amber Coverstone and her daughter, Ferguson said.

Coverstone was asleep when the fire started, and woke up to the sound of her smoke detector going off. Awake, she spotted the fire, exited the house and called 911.

“If it wasn’t for the smoke detector going off, I do believe that we would be talking about a different situation,” Ferguson said.

He reminded everyone to check their smoke detectors and purchase one if there are none in their home.

Ferguson estimated the fire Wednesday caused $30,000 in damages, and said that the home was insured. The family is  being assisted by the American Red Cross and will not be able to move back into the home until repairs are made.