A card shower is planned for Katrena Swartz, who will celebrate her 80th birthday Aug. 10. Cards may be sent to 856 Coffman Road, Edinburg, Virginia 22824.
SMART Recovery, an international nonprofit administered by volunteers, holds meetings at noon on Mondays and 7 p.m. Wednesdays at Northwestern Community Services, 1014 Amherst St., Room 204, Winchester.
The program is based on science and education, no spirituality or religion is involved. Informal setting. Information: www.SMARTRecovery.org.
Handley Library in Winchester will show the movie “Beetlejuice” at 8:30 p.m. Wednesday.
The Amateur Ham Radio Operators Club will meet at 8:30 a.m. on Thursdays at Cook's Exxon in Woodstock. Information: Malcolm at 540-436-8503.
Teen art club
The Museum of the Shenandoah Valley will host a teen art club from 4:30-6 p.m. Thursday at 901 Amherst St., Winchester. Information: 540-662-1473 or www.themsv.org.
Sue Hickman will present the program “The Making of a Quilt Artist” at the meeting of the Apple Valley Needle Threaders at 9:30 a.m. Thursday at VFW Post 9760, 425 S. Buckmarsh St., Berryville. Information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Samuels Library in Front Royal will hold the following activities this month for adults:
• Poetry workshop (ages 15 and older): 6 p.m., Thursday. Joanne Cherefko, a local poet and educator, will read from her debut collection “A Consecration of the Wind.”
• English as a Second Language: 10 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays.
• Front Royal Sewing Group: 10:30 a.m., Aug. 12 and 26 and 6 p.m. Aug. 13 and 27. Bring your own sewing machine or a limited number are available with advance notice.
• Crochet Group: 10 a.m., Aug. 14 and 28.
• Data Science: 6 p.m., Aug. 15 featuring Justin Calabrese, a research scientist with the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute. He will talk about how data science is changing ecology and conservation biology.
• Books & Beyond Book Club: 10 a.m., Aug. 21. The book to be discussed is “The Alice Network” by Kate Quinn.
• Blood drive: 11 a.m.-3 p.m., Aug. 24.
• Plant-based cooking workshop (mature children may join): 2 p.m., Aug. 24, learn how to make vegan-style pizza.
• Panel discussion on the resistance to school desegregation in Warren County: 6 p.m., Aug. 29 featuring the Rev. James Kilby and his sister, author Betty Kilby Fisher, who were part of the first class to desegregate Warren County High School; Dr. J. Michael Utzinger, professor of religion at Hampton Sydney College; members of the group Coming to the Table.
• Lord of the Rings-the Fellowship of the Ring movie: 1 p.m., Aug. 31.
Send in your events at www.nvdaily.com/site/forms