A card shower is planned for Richard "Dick" Cooley, who will celebrate his 84th birthday Friday. Cards can be sent to 617 Kestrel Court, Woodstock, Virginia 22664.
Strasburg Christian Church will host quarter bingo from 6 to 9 p.m. today at the church. Soup and sandwiches will be available starting at 5 p.m. The proceeds benefit the Strasburg Fire Department. Donations of protein/energy bars earn an extra door prize ticket.
The Cedar Creek Valley Ruritan Club will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday at Gravel Springs Lutheran Church, 870 S. Pifer Road, Star Tannery. Information: 540-465-4159.
Samuels Public Library in Front Royal will hold the following children’s programs:
• Science Scouts (ages 6-11): 4:30 p.m., Tuesday. Explore the work of pulleys for the Ski Lift Challenge.
• Future Einsteins (ages 6-11): 4 p.m., Wednesday.
• Critical Thinking, Logic and Reasoning (ages 12-15): 4 p.m., 12-week class led by local educator Jane Clark.
Winchester Trout Unlimited will host a bar fly event at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Escutcheon Brewing in Winchester.
No fly-tying or fly-fishing experience necessary. Those attending are encouraged to bring their fly-tying vise. Information: Bill at 540-722-2620.
Mackenzie Ryan was named to the dean's list for the fall semester at Lord Fairfax Community College. She is the daughter of Bobby and Cyrene Ryan, and granddaughter of Harry and Emmy Helsley, all of Woodstock.
Middletown resident Jason Holland, a junior business administration major, was named to the president's list at Bob Jones University for the fall semester.
The Warren County School Board made the following personnel announcements at its meeting on Jan. 2:
• Leslie Fox Keyser Elementary School: Christeia Hill replaces Danelle Bryner as an instructional assistant; Amanda Mathura replaces Tara McKechnie as a teacher; Alexa Vadala-Schaffer replaces Chad Dillon as a school counselor.
• Ressie Jeffries Elementary School: Holly Leach replaces Ruby White in the cafeteria.
• Skyline High School: Thomas Tusing has been named an assistant varsity track coach; Tiffany Walker has been appointed a clock operator.
• Transportation: Mildred Jenkins and Tanya Stanley have been appointed car drivers/aides; Leila Lehman has been appointed a bus driver; Karen Willis-Winningham replaces Mary Becker as a bus driver.
Send in your events at www.nvdaily.com/site/forms