• A card shower is planned for Frank Richman, who will celebrate his birthday Wednesday. Cards can be sent to 99 Wetzel Road, Woodstock, Virginia 22664.
• A card shower is planned for Edna Click Walenga, who will celebrate her 90th birthday Feb. 7. Cards may be sent to 20806-A Senedo Road, Edinburg, Virginia 22824.
Mt. Calvary Lutheran Church in Mount Jackson will host a Winter Warmth lunch from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday featuring baked potatoes and chili. The cost is $7 and benefits the Search Group Home for Challenged Adults. Snow date is Feb. 9.
AARP Tax-Aid will begin with sign-up at 8 a.m. Monday at the War Memorial building at Jim Barnett Park, Winchester.
Appointments can be scheduled for 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays. People seeking tax help should bring a picture ID, Social Security cards for all listed on each return, year-end tax papers (W-2’s, 1099’s,1098’s, etc.) and last year’s tax return.
Information: 540-247-6479. No appointments will be made over the phone.
The Woodstock-Edinburg Adult Active Fellowship will meet at 10:30 a.m. Monday at the Edinburg VFW.
Those attending are asked to bring a non-perishable item for the food pantry. Lunch will be available to purchase. Information: Shenandoah County Parks and Recreation at 540-459-6777.
Handley, Bowman and Clarke County libraries will host Hibernation Day celebrating Groundhog Day on Saturday with a day full of activities.
Activities at Bowman Library in Stephens City will feature chess from 10 a.m. to noon, an indoor plant clinic for adults from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and Paws for Reading program from 1 to 2:15 p.m.
Activities at Handley Library in Winchester include a Lego Club for kids and the program “Unheard Voice of the Civil War” from 11 a.m. to noon, a showing of the family film “Hercules” from noon to 2 p.m. and Author Series from 2 to 4 p.m.
Patrons can enter a drawing at each library for an opportunity to win a book bag stuffed with promotional items, book bucks and more. Information: 540-662-9041 or visit www.handleyregional.org.
Winners of the Shenandoah County 4-H Presentation contest held Jan. 26 at the Extension office in Woodstock have been announced. Blue ribbons went to:
• Senior: Cheyenne Estep, Livestock Club, career category; Josh Eaton, New Market, extemporaneous speaking.
• Intermediate: Margaret Copp, St. Luke-Saumsville and Seven Bends Shooting Education clubs, shooting education; Marie-Claire des Rosiers, Livestock and Fort Valley clubs, radio spot and animal science; Erin Van Norton, Lebanon Church, and Natalee Peterson, Lebanon Church and Seven Bends Shooting Education clubs, table setting.
• Junior: Lizzi Zirkle, Livestock Club, creative arts.
Receiving a blue ribbon in the foods category were intermediate and junior members Hannah and Olivia Fisher, Lebanon Church.
Winners have qualified to participate in the District competition in April and seniors have qualified for State competition in June.
Three students from Winchester have been named to the dean’s list for the fall term at Frostburg State University. They are Rylee Learn, Aliyah Ramey and Steven Wolford.
Christopher Francis and Ivy Nargiz, both of Winchester, have been named to the dean’s list for the fall term at the University of Delaware.
Zoe Thomas, a Winchester resident majoring in theatre arts management at Ithaca College, was named to the dean’s list for the fall semester.
Send in your events at www.nvdaily.com/site/forms