A card shower is planned for Louise Moomaw who will celebrate her 89th birthday Wednesday. Cards may be sent to 3762 Crooked Run Road, Mount Jackson, VA 22842
The St. Luke Brethren Church in Woodstock will present the movie “Overcomer” at 6:30 p.m. Thursday.
The Warren Charge Food Pantry, located at Asbury United Methodist Church, will accept applications for assistance from 10 a.m. to noon Saturday at 7973 Stonewall Jackson Highway, Front Royal. Food will also be distributed at that time. Information: 540-692-8386.
1455 A Place for Writers Author Series at Handley Library in Winchester will feature author Nathan Leslie at 3 p.m. Saturday.
Leslie will read from his award-winning series, “Hurry Up And Relax.” Sean Murphy, founding director of 1455, and Leslie will discuss the process of writing his book and the contemporary literary scene. Information: 540-662-9041.
The Shenandoah Valley chapter 936 of Vietnam Veterans of America will meet at 9 a.m. Saturday at Denny’s Restaurant in Mount Jackson.
The featured speaker will be Phil Bigler, author of “A Century of Honor: Tomb of the Unknown Solider.” Those attending are encouraged to arrive at 8:30 a.m. for breakfast. Information: 540-333-5805.
The Shenandoah Valley Quilt Guild will hold its annual fundraiser auction starting at 9:30 a.m. Saturday at Sunnyside Retirement Community in Harrisonburg.
The New Market Area Library will host a book discussion at 3 p.m. Saturday featuring “Bad Moon Rising: The Prom Night Memoirs” by Ed Morrison. Information: Bev Butterfield at 540-335-5396.
Samuels Library in Front Royal has announced the following children’s activities will be held:
• Saturday: 11 a.m., Kooky Chefs Cook the World-Alaska, for ages 8 and older; 3 p.m., Open A Book musical review by the Rainbow Puppets, a traveling early-reading program. Each child attending will receive a storybook about the program.
• Jan. 21: 4:30 p.m., Novel Ideas for ages 6-11 with a program about dog sledding.
• Jan. 25: 11 a.m., “Goldilocks and the Three Bears,” a story ballet by members of the Northern Virginia Academy of Ballet; 2 p.m., Aspiring Artists for ages 7 and older featuring a program on the classic scissor-cutting art of Scherenschnitte.
• Jan. 28: 4:30 p.m., Novel Ideas featuring a program on how sicknesses and diseases spread, for ages 6-11.
Information: 540-635-3153 or www.samuelslibrary.net.
Bowman Library in Stephens City will hold the following activities:
• Saturday: 11 a.m., celebrate the birthday of A.A. Milne, author of Winnie the Pooh, for children up to age 11 and their families.
• Monday: 11 a.m., Teen Disney Day featuring watching movies such as the “Little Mermaid,” “Lion King,” “The Princess and the Frog” and more, for ages 12 and older. Children are encouraged to bring lunch.
• Jan. 23: 8 a.m., Marketing Mindshare Networking Group with marketing professionals from Top of Virginia Regional Chamber.
• Jan. 31: noon, Multicultural Children’s Book Day for all ages.
• Conversation Partners: for people learning a foreign language to practice having conversations.
Send in your events at www.nvdaily.com/site/forms