Commerce Avenue will be closed starting at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday for the Front Royal Volunteer Fireman’s parade. Lineup will begin at 5 p.m. on East Stonewall Drive between Commerce Avenue and Leslie Fox Keyser Elementary School.
The parade will start at 6 p.m., running north on Commerce Avenue from Stonewall to 8th Street and the carnival grounds. The alternate traffic route is Royal Avenue and South Street.
AARP AARP will conduct a Smart Driver safety program from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday at the Frederick County Public Safety building in Winchester for drivers 50 and over.
A certificate, which may reduce auto insurance costs for those 55 and older, will be provided. No exams. The cost is $20 and AARP members will received a $5 discount with membership card. Registration: 540-636-6967.
Shenandoah Master Gardeners will be available to answer home horticulture questions from 9 a.m. to noon Friday at the Extension office in Woodstock. Information: 540-459-6140.
The Stewart Bell Jr. Archives at Handley Library in Winchester will host the Lunch Bunch at noon Friday for adults to share genealogy successes and to learn new skills. Bring lunch and drinks. Information: 540-662-9041 or email email@example.com.
Rockland Community Church in Front Royal will host a free youth cookout from 5 to 8 p.m. Friday for ages 10 and up. Information: 540-635-8312.
Sustainability Matters will host an environmental trivia night Friday at Backroom Brewery in Middletown. Dinner, featuring a special farm-to-table menu with the debut of Sustainability Matters’ band, the Plant-Based Jam, will start at 5:30. Trivia starts at 7 p.m. There will be a $5 cover charge. Information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bethel Lutheran Church in Edinburg will hold vacation Bible school from 5:30 to 8 p.m. Friday for ages pre-kindergarten through sixth grade. The theme will be Daniel and the Lion’s Den. Pre-registration: 540-984-3883, leave message.
Galen Patrick Rohr, of Fort Valley, has graduated from the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, New York.
Rohr earned a bachelor’s degree and a commission in the U.S. Armed Forces. He also eared a Merchant Marine officer license, qualifying him to serve as an officer on any ship in the U.S. Flag merchant marine.
As part of his four-year education, Rohr spent one year training as a cadet aboard ocean-going vessels. Rohr was nominated to attend the academy by former President Barack Obama.
Randolph-Macon Academy, in Front Royal, recognized the Upper School’s top achievers on May 17. They are:
• Grace Wagner, a junior, received the Outstanding Sportsman Award. She is the daughter of Eddie and Stephanie Wagner, of Front Royal.
• Jonathan Bunker, a junior, received the Scholar/Athlete Award. He is the son of the Rev. Jonathan Bunker and Dr. Susan Gawalt, of Berryville.
• AJ Sullivan, a junior, received the Distinguished Athlete Award. He is the son of Frank and Pamela Sullivan, of Strasburg.
• Nathaniel Chichester, a senior, received the Commandant’s Military Excellence Award. He is the son of Ruth Chichester, of Middletown.
• Jacob Gehly, a junior, received the Outstanding Instrumental Musician Medal. He is the son of Art and Mary Gehly, of Front Royal.
• Alan R. Williams, a junior, received the Outstanding Instrumental Musician Medal. He is the son of Michael and Sherry Williams, of Front Royal.
• Noelle Kramer, a senior, received the Semper Fidelis Award for musical excellence. She is the daughter of Marc Kramer, of Front Royal, and Sarah Kramer, of Yuma, Arizona.
• Quinlin Bruhn, a sophomore, received the Yearbook Editor Award. She is the daughter of Dr. Erich and Kristin Bruhn, of Winchester.
• Katy Babineau, a junior, received the German Medal. She is the daughter of Joe and Helen Babineau, of Front Royal.
• Francesca Schaefer, a sophomore, received the Jesse K. Brennan Medal for religion studies. She is the daughter of Dan and Danielle Bostick, of Winchester.
• Carolyn Laourdakis, a senior, received the Most Genteel Female Award. She is the daughter of Tonja Phillips, of Winchester, and Thomas Laourdakis, of Front Royal.
Send in your events at www.nvdaily.com/site/forms