• A get-well card shower is planned for Ellen Grant. Cards may be sent to her c/o Lynn Care Center, 1000 N. Shenandoah Ave., Room 237, Front Royal, Virginia 22657.
• A card shower is planned for Leo George, who will celebrate his 88th birthday Friday. Cards may be sent to 22678 Senedo Road, Woodstock, Virginia 22664.
The Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumers Services will hold an open house and answer questions concerning the quarantine for the spotted lanternfly from 3-7 p.m. today at the Frederick County Public Safety Building, 1080 Coverstone Drive, Winchester.
American Legion Hassler-Sutphin Post 166 in New Market will host a ribeye steak dinner from 5-8 p.m. Friday at the post home, 202 Old Cross Road. Dinners, which are $15, include sides, dessert and drink.
The Town of Strasburg and Friends of the North Fork of the Shenandoah River will host a free program on toads and a workshop on painting a toad house from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. June 15 at the town park. The event is being held during the Father’s Day Weekend River Festival.
All supplies are provided. Advance registration required. Information: https://tinyurl.com/y4ppv25d.
Handley Library in Winchester will hold the following activities:
• Monday: 2 p.m., visit by The Frisbee Guy; 4 p.m., MakerSpace Mondays for ages 6-11.
• Wednesday: 2 p.m., STEAM Works for ages 6-11, registration required.
• June 14: 2 p.m., Crafternoons for ages 6-11, registration required.
• June 15: 10:30 a.m., family story time; 11:30 a.m., sensory sensitive story time geared especially for children in the autism spectrum and those with sensory integration challenges, registration required.
Bowman Library in Stephens City will hold the following activities:
• Monday: 6 p.m., Teen Advisory Board meeting for ages 12 and up.
• Wednesday: 11 a.m., puppets workshop for ages 12 and up; 6 p.m., Nature Surprises for Kids for ages 6-11, this month’s class is on fragrance in the garden.
• June 13: 1 p.m., Read with the Winchester Royals; 6 p.m., tween game night.
• June 14: 11 a.m., Build Together for all ages.
• June 15: 10 a.m., Chess Club; 11 a.m., family story time for ages to 5 years; 1 p.m., Paws for Reading with certified therapy dogs.
A Dutch-treat luncheon will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at Golden Corral in Winchester for nurses who graduated from Winchester Memorial Training School or have been employed at or retired from the hospital. Information: 540-667-7953.
• Ryan E. Butler, of Basye, has been awarded a National Merit University of Maryland Scholarship. He is a senior at Stonewall Jackson High School.
• Lauren Derflinger, of Mount Jackson, was named to the president’s list at State University of New York at Potsdam for the spring semester. She is studying music performance.
• The following students were named to the dean’s list at Emory & Henry College for the spring semester:
Berryville: Makayla Hardesty
Stephenson: Grant Myers.
Winchester: Madison Rudolph.
• The following students earned degrees on May 5 from Eastern Mennonite University:
• Broadway: Clay Cordell, a bachelor’s in psychology; Erick Granados, a bachelor’s in liberal arts with a minor in psychology; Sylvia Mast, a bachelor’s in biology with an academic minor in the honors program; Cody Trumbo, a bachelor’s in liberal arts, elementary education licensure; Kaitlyn Klager, a bachelor’s degree with honors in nursing; Rebeka Andes, a bachelor’s in nursing; Elizabeth Resto, a bachelor’s in psychology; Debi Emrich, a bachelor’s degree in liberal arts and elementary education.
• Front Royal: Dallas Crawford, a bachelor’s in liberal arts; Courtney Barnhart, a bachelor’s in leadership and organizational management; Mary Gilliam, a bachelor’s in leadership and organiational management; David Harrison, a bachelor’s in nursing.
• Mount Jackson: William Geary, a bachelor’s in business administration with a minor in human resource management.
• New Market: Kelli Brady, a bachelor’s degree with honors in business administration with a minor in nonprofit management.
• Quicksburg: Madison Streett, a bachelor’s in biology with a minor in kinesiology and exercise science.
• Stephens City: Hannah Menefee, a bachelor’s in music, education licensure, pre-kindergarden-12th grade; Kathryn Marquess, a bachelor’s in nursing; Crystal Taylor, a bachelor’s in leadership and organizational management.
• Timberville: Cherie Etchebarne, a bachelor’s in leadership and organizational management.
• Winchester: Connor Faint, Hanna Fitzgerald and Lara Rogers, all earned bachelor’s degrees in nursing.
• Woodstock: Asmait Asgedom, a bachelor’s degree in social work with minors in sociology, criminology and restorative justice; Sean Cook, a bachelor’s degree with honors in leadership and organizational management; Crystal Fletcher, a bachelor’s degree in management and organizational development.
Send in your events at www.nvdaily.com/site/forms