• A card shower is planned for Vera Blum, who will celebrate her 92nd birthday on April 2. Cards may be sent to 217 Princess Caroline Court, Edinburg, Virginia 22824.
• A card shower is planned for Jim Fisher, who will celebrate his 83rd birthday on April 3. Cards may be sent to 85 Fishers Road, Maurertown, Virginia 22644.
• A card shower is planned for Debbie Hamrick, who will celebrate her 70th birthday on April 3. Cards may be sent to 2814 Ridgeley Road, Woodstock, Virginia 22664.
Front Royal has opened a financial aid program to residents and businesses hurt by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The town received funds through the state’s COVID-19 Municipal Utility Relief Program, which provides financial assistance for eligible residents and local businesses experiencing economic hardship as a result of the pandemic, according to a release issued Thursday.
The program can provide financial assistance to eligible residents and businesses for water, sewer and electric utility bills 30 days or more past due and dated March 1-Dec. 30, 2021.
Visit www.frontroyalva.com for more information and to submit applications for the program. The town will process applications on a first-come, first serve basis until funds are exhausted or Dec. 30, whichever occurs first.
Contact the Department of Finance at 540-635-7799 with any questions.
The Arbor Day Foundation again named Front Royal as part of the Tree City USA program.
The town announced the foundation’s designation in a news release issued this week. The town has received the recognition for each of the past 22 years. In the release, Mayor Christopher W. Holloway thanked the Front Royal/Warren County Tree Stewards and the Beautification of Front Royal Committee for lending their expertise and volunteers who share in the recognition.
The town plans to hold an Arbor Day celebration, which includes the planting of a tree at the new pavilion, at 11:30 a.m. April 30, near the gazebo at Main and Chester streets
The Corhaven Graveyard Book Club will host a virtual discussion of the book “Slave Testimony: Two Centuries of Letters, Speeches, Interviews and Autobiographies” by J.W. Blassingame over the next five months.
The first meeting will be held from 12:30-1:30 p.m. Wednesday discussing autobiographies and narratives of Bethany Veney.
Future meetings will be held 7-8 p.m. May 10, June 30, Aug. 13 and Sept. 30.
Materials will be provided ahead of time for those that sign up or the book may be acquired at your local library. To participate email email@example.com.
Samuels Library in Front Royal has planned the following virtual activities for children:
• Easter parade: 10 a.m., April 3. Dress up your animal friend and send a picture or short video to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Minecraft Mashup: 2 p.m., April 3 for ages 9-18.
• Science Scouts: 4:30 p.m., Tuesdays for ages 6-11.
• Discuss This: 2 p.m., April 10 for ages 12-18.
• Story times are held each week at 7 p.m. Wednesdays and 10 a.m. Thursdays.
Information: 540-635-3153 or visit www.samuelslibrary.net.
Send in your events at www.nvdaily.com/site/forms