A card shower is planned for Zelda Keller, who will celebrate her 92nd birthday Tuesday. Cards may be sent to 1493 Clary Road, Strasburg, Virginia 22657.
Library Samuels Library in Front Royal will hold the following activities:
• Books and Barks: 10 a.m., Saturday, to read with a trained therapy dog.
• Discuss This (ages 12-up): 2 p.m., Saturday. Monica Farrall will lead a program on four major personality categories that have an animal likeness: the lion, the otter, the golden retriever and the beaver.
• Science Scouts (ages 6-11): 4:30 p.m., Tuesday. Program on windmills.
Information: 540-635-3153 or www.samuelslibrary.net.
Handley Library in Winchester will show the family film “Incredibles 2” at noon Saturday. Families encouraged to bring a picnic lunch. Information: 540-662-9041.
A family barbecue and barn dance to benefit Family Promise, a nonprofit organization that brings shelter, meals and support services to families without homes through a network of local congregations, will be held from 4-7 p.m. Sunday at Classicus Farm, 1630 Chapman Landing Road, Edinburg.
Tickets are $15 for adults, $10 for youth and $35 per family. Tickets, information: 540-459-4599.
The Apple Valley Ringers will perform at 3 p.m. Sunday at Bowman Library in Stephens City. Information: 540-869-9000.
SMART Recovery, an international nonprofit administered by volunteers, will meet at noon Monday and 7 p.m. June 5 at Northwestern Community Services, 1014 Amherst St., Suite 204, Winchester.
The program is based on science and education, no spirituality or religion involved. Informal setting. The group meets weekly on Mondays and Wednesdays. Information: www.SMARTRecovery.org.
The Browntown chapter of Izaak Walton League will hold a dinner meeting 6 p.m. (new time) Monday at 3364 Gooney Manor Loop, Browntown. The guest speaker will be David Duke, a representative for the Northern Shenandoah Valley Youth Mountain Bike team. Information: 540-636-3666.
The 4-H/FFA Livestock Ambassadors will meet at 4 p.m. Monday at the Shenandoah County Government Center in Woodstock. Information: 540-459-6140.
Wes Iseli and his Party Magic will perform at 5 p.m. Tuesday at the Shenandoah County Library in Edinburg. Registration not required, but the program fills up quickly and late-comers will not be admitted if the room is full. Information: 540-984-8200.
Members of the Strasburg Police Department will take part in the Law Enforcement Torch Run for Special Olympics at 10 a.m. Tuesday. Runners will start on state Route 11 at the Frederick, Warren and Shenandoah County lines, traveling north through town to the Old Mill.
T-shirts, which are purple this year, are available for sale for $15 at the town office. Donation cans have also been placed in area stores to benefit Special Olympics. Information: Teresa at 540-465-5230.
Nathan West will talk about the F135 fighter jet program at the meeting of the Hamburg Ruritan Club at 7 p.m. Tuesday at St. John’s United Church of Christ in Edinburg.
Samuels Library in Front Royal will hold the following programs for adults:
• Improve your Spanish (playlist edition): 6 p.m., Tuesday and June 6, 11 and 13. Improve Spanish through catchy modern songs sung in Spanish.
• Trivia night: 7 p.m., Tuesdays at Vine and Leaf, 477 South St.
• WIC Breastfeeding Moms Group: 1 p.m., June 6.
• Genealogy Nuts-Shake Your Family Tree: 6 p.m., June 6 and 20.
• Summer Reading Club runs from June 7 through Aug. 10 with programs, movies and prizes.
• Show & Tell Textiles: 10:30 a.m., June 8, learn about fiber crafts and arts that people are creating in our community including quilting, crochet, knitting, felting, sewing.
• Sewing group: 10:30 a.m., June 10 and 24 and 6 p.m. June 11 and 25. Bring your own sewing machine. A limited number of extra machines available with advance notice.
• Crochet group: 10 a.m., June 12 and 26.
• Father’s Day Festival: 6 p.m., June 13, food, woodworking crafts, bluegrass music.
• Phone photography: 10:30 a.m., June 15.
Information, registration: 540-635-3153.
The state Arboretum at Blandy Farm in Boyce will host the following programs:
• Identifying and managing invasive species of plants: 1-5 p.m., June 5. Samples on display. Attendees may bring securely bagged plants for identification. Registration, which is required, is $25 or $20 or members of Arboretum Friends.
• Making fine furniture in the Shenandoah Valley: 9:30 a.m.-noon, June 8. Ron Light with Lighthouse Woodworking will give an on-site demonstration of milling a variety of woods. Registration: $15 or $10 for members of Arboretum Friends.
• Health report on the state of Virginia’s forests: 7-8:30 p.m., June 10, led by Matt Wolanski and Kim Biasiolliwith the state Department of Forestry. Registration, $15 or $10 for members of Arboretum Friends.
Information, registration: 540-837-1758 or www.blandy.virginia.edu.
June 7 is the deadline to register to attend a free women’s wellness forum sponsored by the Front Royal Women’s Resource Center and the Laurel Center.
The forum will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 15 at New Hope Bible Church, 80 N. Lake Ave., Front Royal. Morning snacks and lunch provided. Breakout sessions will cover self-defense, financial wellness, embracing change as you age, stepping into exquisite self-care and easy chair yoga.
Information: 540-631-1554 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send in your events at www.nvdaily.com/site/forms