A card shower is planned for Evine Erickson, who will celebrate her 80th birthday Thursday. Cards may be sent to 6047 Panhandle Road, Front Royal, Virginia 22630.
Youth for the Quality Care of Animals training will be held at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Page County Fairgrounds in Luray. Preregistration required. Information: 540-778-5794 or http://bit.ly/YQCA2019.
Clarke County Library in Berryville will hold the following activities Thursday:
• Preschool story time (ages 3-up): 10:30 a.m.
• Story Art (ages 4-9): 3:45 p.m.
Information: 540-955-5144 or visit www.handleyregional.org.
Bowman Library in Stephens City will host a Mango languages workshop 6 p.m. Thursday for adults.
Bring your smartphone, computer or tablet to get started using the Mango Language learning app. Registration required. Information: 540-869-9000.
The New Market Historical Society will meet 7 p.m. Thursday at the Town Council Chambers, 9418 John Sevier Road.
Shannon Combs-Bennett, author of the book “Genealogy Basics in 30 Minutes” will present a guide to genealogy research. Light refreshments served.
John M. (Jack) Bauserman, a retired social studies teacher and WWII scholar, will present a program on D-Day and the Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial at the meeting of the Woodstock Museum at 7 p.m. Thursday at the Town Hall, 135 N. Main St.
Those attending will be encouraged to share their family’s experience of D-Day. Information: 540-459-3946 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Warren Rifles chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy will lead its annual Confederate Memorial Day ceremony on the anniversary of the Battle of Front Royal 6:30 p.m. Thursday at Prospect Hill Cemetery’s Soldiers Circle. In case of rain, the program will be held at Warren Rifles Confederate Museum, 95 Chester St., Front Royal.
The Sacred Heart Academy Players, students in grades 3-8, will host a dinner theatre at 6:30 p.m. Thursday at the school in Winchester.
Following a spaghetti dinner, the Players will present Broadway songs and dances. Tickets are $15 for adults, $7.50 for ages 11-18 and free for ages 10 and under. Tickets, information: 540-662-7177.
Winchester National Cemetery is seeking volunteers to participate in its “Flags In” program at 4 p.m. Friday to help place American flags at the headstones of more than 5,500 veterans. Information: 540-825-0027.
Samuels Library in Front Royal will hold the following activities:
• Tuesday: 4:30 p.m., Science Scouts for ages 6-11, registration required.
• Thursday: 6 p.m., art workshop for beginning artists, materials provided, registration required.
• May 25: 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Studio 330 for ages 9-18 led by artist Michael Whited; 2 p.m., Game On for ages 12-18, registration required.
Registration: 540-635-3153 or www.samuelslibrary.net.
The state Arboretum at Blandy Farm in Boyce will host “Mindfulness in Nature: Guided Walking Mediation” from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Thursday for ages 16 and older.
The guest speaker will be Shell Fischer from Mindful Shenandoah Valley. The program will cover about one-half mile. The cost is $15 or $10 for FOSA members. Registration required by calling 540-837-1758 ext. 224 from 1 to 5 p.m. or visit blandy.virginia.edu.
Two area students were among 30 Virginia high school seniors recognized by the Comcast Foundation as part of its Leaders and Achievers Scholarship program during a ceremony May 15 at the State Capitol in Richmond.
They are Kaley Foulks, of Warren County High School in Front Royal, and Gina Alfred, of John Handley High School in Winchester.
Eastern Mennonite University has announced the following local students were honored:
• Broadway: Christian Delawder received the Royals Athlete of the Week Award in women’s basketball; Leah Wenger received the Student Government Recognition award for service as a senator in 2018-2019; Sylvia Mast received the Student Government Award for service as a senator for 2018-2019 and won a STEM poster competition in the Academic and Creative Excellence Festival.
• Strasburg: Cor’shauna Cunningham received the Royals Athlete of the Week Award in women’s track and field.
Send in your events at www.nvdaily.com/site/forms