The following locations will be closed in observance of Memorial Day:
• The Warren County Community Center in Front Royal will be closed Saturday through Monday.
• Samuels Public Library in Front Royal will be closed Monday.
• The following branches of the Handley Library system will be closed Monday: Handley Library in Winchester, Bowman Library in Stephens City and Clarke County Library in Berryville.
• The Frederick County Regional Landfill and all citizens’ convenience sites will be closed Monday.
• The Shenandoah County Extension office in Woodstock will be closed Monday.
The following volunteers are scheduled at the Strasburg Museum:
Sunday: morning, Conly and Tina Crabill; afternoon, Amanda Laws.
Monday: morning, Joan Farrell and Ginny Conrad; afternoon, Margo and Lynn.
Tuesday: morning, Danny and Shirley Wymer; afternoon, Glenna Loving.
Wednesday: morning, Carolyn McKiernan and Hannalore R.; afternoon, Linda Williams.
Thursday: morning, Randy Painter; afternoon, Sherry Anderson.
Friday: morning, Suzie and Link Powars and Margo; afternoon, Wendy Piper.
Saturday: morning, Pat Miller and Gladys Ritenour; afternoon,Tim Taylor.
Mt. Olive meal
The Mt. Olive community covered-dish meal will be held 11:30 a.m. Tuesday at St. Matthew Lutheran Church in Toms Brook.
The Stewart Bell Jr. Archives at Handley Library in Winchester continues its free Genealogy for Beginners series with a program on wills and deeds at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday. Information: 540-662-9041.
A combined Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes Support Group meeting will be held 6 p.m. Tuesday at the Chronic Disease Resource Center, 333 W. Cork St., Suite 100, Winchester.
The guest speaker will be Wendell Dick, who will demonstrate the Free Style Libre, the new no-finger-stick meter. Information: Debbie at 540-536-5106.
Shenandoah County Library in Edinburg will host a Mario Kart 8 video game tournament 4:30 p.m. Thursday. Registration required by calling 540-984-8200 or visit www.countylib.org.
Educators from the four local units in District G of the Virginia Retired Teachers Association, which includes Bath/Highland, Augusta, Page and Shenandoah counties, held its spring meeting May 7 at Traditions in Harrisonburg.
The guest speaker was Penny Imeson, director of the Heritage Museum. Bea Morris, legislative chairperson for both Virginia Retired Teachers Association and District G, talked about the legislative session and upcoming elections. The group remembered past treasurer, Betty Carey (Shenandoah), who died soon after the spring 2018 meeting.
The following officers were elected: Karen Whetzel (Shenandoah), president; Rich Thompson (Page), vice president; Sharon Lucas (Page), secretary; Jim Hines (Shenandoah), treasurer.
The following students were named to the dean’s list at Shepherd University for the spring term:
• Edinburg: Isaiah T. Hall.
• Front Royal: Savanah J. Falls and Nemo A. Hirschberg.
• Mount Jackson: Kendra B. Coffey.
• Strasburg: Dakota Funkhouser.
Send in your events at www.nvdaily.com/site/forms