A fire at a home at 300 Rainbow Way in the Bentonville area of Warren County caused about $45,000 in damages, according to the responding fire department.

Warren County Fire and Rescue Chief Richard Mabie said it appeared a malfunctioning propane-fueled water heater in the first-floor utility room caught fire, causing severe damage to that room, a storage room and the kitchen.

Fire and smoke also let moderate damage in other areas of the home, Mabie said.

He noted that a 13-year-old boy was alone in the house when the fire broke out. Mabie said the boy closed the door to the utility room, called 911, gathered up the family’s dogs, cats and a pot belly pig and got them all out of the home safely.

“He did an excellent job. His actions of closing that door to the utility room eliminated more fire damage from occurring,” Mabie said.

Fire and rescue crews arrived to find the first floor of the two-story home on fire.

Three tanker trucks were at the scene to provide water to fight the fire.

Firefighters had the fire under control within 20 minutes and remained at the home for another 90 minutes performing salvage and ensuring no fire flared up.

There were no injuries, but those living in the home were displaced.

Red Cross services were offered, but the family chose to stay with other family members in the area, Mabie said.

Contact Melissa Topey at mtopey@nvdaily.com

Contact Melissa Topey at mtopey@nvdaily.com