The Woodstock Fire Department responded to a fire at an apartment complex on Tuesday.

According to Shenandoah County Fire Marshal  David Ferguson, the fire in an apartment at 259 Lakeview Drive in Woodstock was caused by a discarded cigarette in a window seal. Ferguson said the fire was ruled accidental.

One of the tenants in the apartment was sleeping in an adjacent bedroom when the fire occurred. The tenant woke up after smelling smoke, Ferguson said.

The Woodstock Fire Department arrived at the scene at 2:01 p.m. and the fire was marked under control at 2:18 p.m. Ferguson said a neighbor had seen the fire and used a fire extinguisher, which kept the fire under control until the fire department arrived and finished putting it out.

Ferguson said two people resided at the residence and neither was injured. He said there was fire damage to the interior and exterior near the west side bedroom window.

Ferguson said that the American Red Cross was notified and will be assisting the tenants.

Contact Donald Lambert at dlambert@nvdaily.com