Fire

Strasburg volunteer firefighter Damion Scott backs away from flames after trying to wet down a pair of adjacent outbuildings after fire destroyed an outbuilding just before noon on Friday. According to Shenandoah County Fire Chief Tim Williams, the homeowner, William Hallman Jr., was charging a child’s electric toy car. After Hallman walked away from the battery, it exploded and caught fire. The heat of the fire cracked several windows in the home and melted surrounding vinyl lattice work. Firefighters knocked the fire down within 10 minutes, according to Williams, and he said the building sustained $10,000 in damages.