Warren County Fire and Rescue responded to a gas leak at the Commonwealth Senior Living Community in Front Royal on Thursday.

Mark Hubbard, a spokesman for the Commonwealth Senior Living Community, said they called Fire and Rescue around 3 p.m. after one of the caregivers at the facility noticed a strange odor.

According to a Warren County Fire and Rescue Facebook post, units arrived on the scene and a leak of an underground piping system for a liquefied petroleum gas tank and generator system was discovered. The leak was located about 15 to 20 feet from the building.

The facility’s residents were evacuated by staff members as the gas odor spread throughout the building. Hubbard said that 74 residents and 25 staff members were evacuated.

“It went as well as we expected,” he said. “Situations like this are why we do drills. The first priority was getting people out, and that’s what we focused on. It’s a sign of good preparation.”

According to the Facebook post, crews worked to contain and mitigate the leak while the facility’s staff monitored the residents’ conditions. The residents were permitted to go back into the building about 40 minutes later.

There were no injuries as a result of the leak. Hubbard said that the Commonwealth Senior Living Community was grateful for the help from Warren County Fire and Rescue.

Warren County Fire and Rescue could not be reached for comment on Friday.

– Contact Donald Lambert at dlambert@nvdaily.com