FRONT ROYAL – A grand jury handed up indictments in Warren County Circuit Court on Monday.
The grand jury indicted Rebecca Starr Melvin, 37, of 407 E. Prospect St., Front Royal, charging her with two counts of arson related to suspicious fires on Sept. 8. Melvin appeared in court following her indictment and told Judge Clifford L. Athey Jr. that David Downes, the attorney representing her in the General District Court, no longer served as her legal counsel and that he and prosecutors had come to an agreement in her case.
Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney Bryan Layton said he did not know about an agreement. Melvin said she wanted the court to dispose of her case that day but Athey voiced concern about her request without a defense attorney present to represent the defendant. He then asked if she wanted to represent herself to which the defendant said she did. Layton said he didn’t feel comfortable moving forward with the case if she did not have an attorney present.
Athey responded by scheduling Melvin to appear in court Dec. 19.
The grand jury also handed up the following indictments charging:
• Renee Dawn Doffermire, 29, of 253 Brinklow Road, Front Royal, on one count of welfare fraud on June 5, 2017
• Charles William Kline, no age available, of 207 View Mountain Road, Stanley, on two counts of passing a bad check on Feb. 17 and Feb. 19
• Michael Ladd Lahman, 42, of no fixed address, on one count of larceny on Oct. 15
• Joshua Williams Pittman Sr., 33, Front Royal, on one count of strangulation on July 14
• Ryan Edward Wyatt, 23, of 4649 Dumfries Road, Warrenton, on one count of possession of fentanyl on March 17
• Christopher Wilson Taylor, 35, of 3759 Bentonville Road, Bentonville, on one count of manufacturing marijuana on Feb. 26
• Sara Elizabeth Kitts, 37, Front Royal, on one count each of credit card theft and credit card fraud on June 26; one count each of check forgery and obtaining money by false pretenses on Sept. 18
• Hollie Marie McLendon, 25, of 417 Cherrydale Ave., Front Royal, on one count of possession of fentanyl on Oct. 27, 2017
• Timothy Ray Hudson, 53, of 527 Frederick Ave., Front Royal, on one count each of distribution of heroin on Aug. 2, 2017 and Aug. 15, 2017
• Dennis Wayne Fitzgerald Jr., 23, of 210 Meadows Farm Road, Blairs, on one count of possession of heroin with the intent to distribute, possession of cocaine with the intent to distribute, possession of a firearm with heroin and cocaine and providing false information to a law enforcement officer on June 2, 2017
• William Mack Keefer Jr., no age available, 5513 Senseny Road, Berryville, on one count each of construction fraud and operating without a contractor’s license on May 15
• Mack Matthew Tolbert, 33, 243 Stonewall St., Front Royal, on one count of grand larceny on Oct. 6
• Michael Wayne Lewis II, 40, 144 Chester St. Front Royal, on one count of possession of more than one-half ounce, but not more than 5 pounds, of marijuana; one count of eluding a law enforcement officer; and one count of assault and battery of a law enforcement officer on Feb. 23
• Sean Michael Martin, 32, 235 Cloud St., Front Royal, on one count of possession of a schedule I or II substance on Nov. 2
• Thomas Lee Tumblin, 47, 1528 Copley Drive, Sumter, South Carolina, on two counts of grand larceny from Walmart on July 20 and July 21
• Douglas Edward Marek, 48, 510 S. Royal Ave., Front Royal, on one count of possession of fentanyl on Dec. 9, 2017