Construction on Happy Creek Road in Warren County and lane closures should begin in mid-June, the Virginia Department of Transportation announced Tuesday.
VDOT recently awarded a $1.73-million contract to Kickin’ Asphalt Paving and Excavating LLC, of Strasburg, to make safety improvements on Happy Creek Road from the Front Royal town limits beyond the railroad crossing to Manassas Run Road. The contract calls for the company to complete the project in December.
Transportation officials say the contractor plans to close parts of the road during the construction. VDOT spokeswoman Sandy Myers said by phone Tuesday that the closures are scheduled to begin June 17 and should end by Aug. 10. The contractor then has more work to do to complete the project by December, she said.
The Warren County School Board plans to consider adjusting the calendar to move opening day from Aug. 10 to Aug. 17 to avoid changing bus routes and times.
All work is weather permitting.
The project calls for:
• Widening each of the two travel lanes from 10 feet to 11 feet.
• Reduces hazards, increased capacity at intersections and improved
• Clearing part of a wooded area and reducing a curve to improve visibility.
• Realignment of the road and reducing a curve at the Norfolk Southern Railroad crossing.
• The construction of turn lanes on Happy Creek Road at Dismal Hollow Road.
• Installation of reflective signs and chevrons to help drivers see the road.
Motorists can expect to see crews putting up signs and preparing the work zone, Myers said. VDOT officials advise drivers to use caution and watch for flaggers, vehicles and other people in the work zone.
VDOT plans to issue a traffic alert when they finalize the detour schedule.