One of New Market’s oldest residential buildings caught fire at 9516 S. Congress St. early Monday morning, causing roughly $95,000 in damages, according to Bill Street, director of operations for Shenandoah County Fire and Rescue.

Street said the fire appears to have been an accident, set by a wood stove.

“The fire had extended up into the attic space above [the addition] and then moved into the main body of the house,” Street said. “This was a log house that was built in the 1800s.”

Street said the age and material of the house, which was built in 1809, made it difficult for the nearly 30 personnel to control the blaze.

First responders from New Market, Mount Jackson, Edinburg, Timberville, Woodstock and Conicville were at the scene.

Street said it took about three minutes for the first responders to arrive and they had the fire under control just after 6 a.m. The last men and women on the scene left at about 8:30 a.m., Street said.

Two individuals, the owner and a renter, lived in the building on Congress Street.  Both were home when the addition caught on fire. One of the occupants was injured, Street said, but was assessed on scene and declined further treatment or transportation to a hospital.

The American Red Cross is providing support for both of the occupants.

Street said the addition was destroyed and the main home sustained heavy smoke damage.

Contact Max Thornberry at mthornberry@nvdaily.com