State police reported today that 14 people have been indicted by the Warren County special grand jury in its investigation of potential criminal activity involving the Front Royal-Warren County Economic Development Authority.
The 14 individuals, who include members of the county Board of Supervisors, the EDA board, the county administrator, the county schools superintendent and former EDA and county attorney, are charged with two counts of misfeasance and one count of nonfeasance "based on the individuals' knowledge of and inaction of the EDA's mismanagement of funds," a news release states. The special grand jury handed up 42 misdemeanor counts against them on Friday.
Thirteen people went before a magistrate today and were released on a personal recognizance bond. The release states that Dan Whitten, former EDA and Warren County attorney, is expected to meet with the magistrate and state police on Wednesday.
Those indicted on two counts of misfeasance and one count of nonfeasance are:
- EDA board member Mark A. Baker, 53, of Front Royal.
- Former EDA treasurer of 30 years William M. Biggs, 77, of Front Royal.
- EDA board member Alexander G. Blanton, 72, of Front Royal.
- County Supervisor Tony F. Carter, 59, of Linden.
- County schools Superintendent Greg Drescher, 59, of Middletown.
- Former EDA board member Bruce N. Drummond, 68, of Linden.
- County Supervisor Archie A. Fox, 78, of Strasburg.
- County Supervisor Linda P. Glavis, 75, of Front Royal.
- Former EDA board member Ronald L. Llewellyn, 66, of Front Royal.
- County Supervisors Chairman Daniel J. Murray Jr., 72, of Middletown.
- EDA Treasurer Thomas E. Patteson III, 73, of Front Royal.
- County Supervisor Thomas H. Sayre, 54, of Front Royal.
- County Administrator Douglas P. Stanley, 50, of Front Royal.
- Former county EDA and county attorney Daniel N. Whitten, 36, of Front Royal.