A Tuesday evening fire that originated in a grill caused an estimated $300,000 in damages to a home and left a family displaced, according to Warren County Fire Marshal Gerry Maiatico.

A Warren County Fire and Rescue Facebook post states that units were dispatched to the 1400 block of Highridge Road in the Lake Front Royal subdivision around 5 p.m. Tuesday. Upon their arrival, the post states that a two-story home had “significant fire conditions” that included a burning car that was near a carport.

Maiatico said over the phone that the fire is believed to have originated in a grill that was under a covered portion of a carport and that no suspicious activity is suspected. He said that the flames spread to the house through the carport’s doors and windows.

He added that the fire “involved a propane tank,” and whether or not that exploded remains under investigation.

When the flames broke out, Maiatico said that an adult male occupant and 4-year-old were able to “self evacuate.” While they made it out, the post states that “a canine pet lost its life.” The family, which includes two teenagers who were not home when the fire occurred, was displaced and received assistance from the American Red Cross, according to the post.

– Contact Josh Gully at jgully@nvdaily.com