Thanks to smoke alarms, a Sunday morning fire on the front porch of a firefighter’s home was extinguished before much damage could be done to the house, according to the Warren County Fire and Rescue Department.

Just after 2:30 a.m., the department was sent to the 100 block of River Oak Road in the Rivermont area on reports that fire was spreading to the roof of a home, a news release states.

The occupant of the house was an off-duty firefighter, who was able to quickly extinguish the fire with a garden hose before it spread into the living area of the home, the release states. The firefighter, whose name is not included in the release, was woken up by an alarm when smoke from the blaze spread inside the home.

The fire was caused by a cigar that the firefighter had smoked and discarded in a flower pot on the front porch before going to bed, Fire Marshal Gerry Maiatico said in a phone interview.

No injuries were reported, the release states.

“This incident should serve as a reminder that a fire does not discriminate and can happen to anyone of us, even firefighters,” said Fire Chief James Bonzano in the news release.

Smoke alarms are available for free by contacting the Fire Marshal’s office at 540-636-3830.

Contact Charles Paullin at cpaullin@nvdaily.com