Two separate fires destroyed two outbuildings in Shenandoah County last week.

At 4:51 p.m. Thursday, a fire was reported at 570 Job Lane, Bryce, Shenandoah County Fire Marshal Dave Ferguson said by phone on Tuesday.

The fire involved an outbuilding on property that was on a private road, which created challenges for firefighters, Ferguson said.

When initial responding units had to cross a small bridge to get to the fire, the bank alongside it started to collapse, preventing additional units from also responding, Ferguson said.

The Virginia Department of Transportation was called and a work crew provided a load of gravel to shore up the bank, Ferguson added.

“Without them, it would have been a challenge to extinguish this fire,” Ferguson said about VDOT's assistance.

Ferguson said anybody living on a private road should make sure its weight capacities are maintained and any obstructions are cleared to prevent any disadvantages when units respond.

The building, which stored equipment and machinery, was destroyed, Ferguson added. Responding units didn’t clear the scene until about 8:30 p.m. No injuries were reported.

On Friday, around 6:15 p.m., the Woodstock Fire Department was dispatched to a fire in an outbuilding at 467 Coffmantown Road.

The building, which had recently been remodeled with work on the siding and flooring, was destroyed.  Fire crews battled that blaze for over two hours. The owner was able to salvage two tractors but not an antique tractor, Ferguson said.

All points lead to the fires being caused by a wood stove in the buildings, Ferguson said, but it wasn’t clear exactly how.

He noted that both outbuildings were insured, and estimated a “heavy” dollar loss in both fires.

Contact Charles Paullin at cpaullin@nvdaily.com