LEESBURG — Different week, similar results.

On Saturday at the Region 4C tournament at Heritage High School, Sherando senior Timmy Dieter (132 pounds) and sophomore Heath Rudolph (145) won their championship matches by beating the same wrestlers that they defeated in last week’s title matches at the Class 4 Northwestern District tournament at Millbrook High School.

The endings were a little different, though.

Dieter trailed late in his match last week against Liberty’s Bryan Contreras, while Rudolph struggled with his conditioning while being taken down three times in the third period in his district tournament match against Fauquier’s Eric DeWald.

On Saturday at Heritage, neither wrestler allowed their opponents much momentum.

Dieter ran out to a 4-0 lead after one period, then scored three points in the first 63 seconds of the third period for a 7-1 lead before settling for a 7-4 win.

Rudolph trailed 4-3 in the second period, but a takedown with 48 seconds left in the second period kicked off a 5-0 run. Only a late escape point kept DeWald from being shut out in the third period this week as Rudolph won 8-5.

Sherando coach Brian Kibler liked what he saw from the duo.

“They didn’t go out there conservative, which is very easy to do in the finals of any tournament,” he said. “They went out there to win it, recognizing that their seeding [for the state tournament] is up in the air. They weren’t complacent [with what they accomplished]. They wanted to win, and they made some things happen and went out and won it.”

Sherando brought five wrestlers to the region tournament, and four of them will advance to the Class 4 state tournament as a result of placing among the top four in their weight class on Saturday. The state tournament will take place on Friday and Saturday, with the first day of competition being held at Riverside High School in Leesburg before moving to Robinson High School in Fairfax the second day.

Joining Dieter (43-2 record) and Rudolph (42-9) will be sophomore DaShawn Lee (35-14), who took second at 285, and junior Caleb McLee (28-18), who placed third at 220.

Sherando placed seventh out of 14 teams with 86 points. Fauquier won with 179 points, 12 more than defending champion Liberty (167).

In Dieter’s match, for a split-second it looked like Contreras might score the initial takedown after sending Dieter to the mat 30 seconds in. But Dieter quickly righted himself, and with 21 seconds left in the period, he got a takedown and two near-fall points for a 4-0 lead. Dieter controlled the action from there, building up a 7-2 lead before Contreras got a late takedown.

“I felt like I was able to really move my hands more and be more active on my feet,” said Dieter, whose lone takedown against Contreras last week came with 27 seconds left for the final points in a 4-3 win. “I was more offensive than I was last week, and I think that made a huge difference in our match.

“I think I did very well this weekend, but I think there’s still a lot of improvement I can make with my offense [going into the state tournament].”

Rudolph took the lead for good after lifting DeWald and dropping him for a 5-4 advantage in the second period. He was pleased with how he finished things off this week after a rough third period last week. {span}Rudolph led 10-1 after one period against DeWald last week and finished with a 16-7 win after each wrestler scored six points in the third period.{/span}

“I think I wrestled him pretty well,” Rudolph said. “I couldn’t get him on his back early. I couldn’t gas out [like last week] I had to wrestle him the entire time and keep up the pace and keep up the intensity and keep getting takedowns from neutral. I was able to do that this time.

“It means a lot [to be regional champion]. It was a goal of mine. I worked a lot in the offseason, and the coaches have helped me peak at the right time.”

In a rematch of last week’s district championship in which Lee was pinned by Liberty’s Willie Phipps with four seconds left in the first period, Phipps (42-13) took down Lee with five seconds left in the sudden victory-overtime session for a 3-1 win.

McLee lost in the quarterfinals in overtime to James Wood’s Jonathan Addison, but he won his last three matches. His win in the third-place match came as a result of Addison being disqualified for “flagrant misconduct” with McLee up 1-0 in the third period.

The referees determined that Addison made illegal contact. Kibler — who was not sitting in one of the coach’s chairs for that match — said he did not see what happened. James Wood coach Cory Crenshaw would only say that Addison was “adamant” that he did not do what the refs said he did.

Overall, Kibler said it was a successful tournament. Brian Jimenez also placed fifth at 170.

“The goal when you get to those final rounds is to get odd — first, third, fifth,” Kibler said. “For the most part, with the exception of one match that came down to the end, we did that. We only brought five, and they all performed well.”

— Contact Robert Niedzwiecki at rniedzwiecki@winchesterstar.com

Follow on Twitter @WinStarSports1