The Warren County Board of Supervisors voted on Tuesday to deny a property owner’s request for a permit to rent a home to tourists.
John and Anna Carpenter applied for a conditional-use permit to run a short-term tourist rental at 703 Kildare Drive in the Sligo Estates subdivision, in the Shenandoah Magisterial District.
Chairwoman Cheryl L. Cullers and supervisors Tony F. Carter, Walter J. Mabe and Delores R. Oates voted in favor of a motion to deny the applicants’ request for the permit. Vice Chairman Archie A. Fox did not attend the meeting.
Sligo Estates residents spoke during the public comment period and urged supervisors to deny the application.
The Board of Supervisors held a public hearing for the request on May 18 but members voted to table the matter so they could review comments made by residents of Sligo Estates and the applicant. Since then county staff has taken photographs of Kildare Drive, which they provided to supervisors.
Cullers and Mabe said at the meeting Tuesday that they recently drove to Kildare Drive to see the area in question. Oates told the audience that neither the board nor the county government can enforce covenants set by property or homeowners associations. Oates said she wanted to make that clarification for members of the audience who had expressed concerns about the Carpenters’ request and claims that it would break the covenants.
“It’s frustrating and I understand that, but it’s not this body that governs (covenants),” Oates said.
Also at the meeting, supervisors:
• Approved the Secondary Six-Year Plan for fiscal years 2022-2027 and the 2022 construction budget for transportation projects. No one spoke at the public hearing held on the matter.
• Approved a request by Salvador and Josette Barragan to rezone approximately 1.77 acres off Park Way in the South River Magisterial District from residential to agricultural use. No one spoke at the public hearing on the request.
• Approved a request by Ryan and Kelsey Speers for a conditional-use permit for a guesthouse on property off Lands Run Road in the South River Magisterial District. No one spoke at the public hearing on the request.
• Approved a request by David Khol for a conditional-use permit for a short-term tourist rental at 519 Freezeland Road in the Happy Creek Magisterial District. No one spoke at the public hearing on the request.
• A request by Melissa and Jonathan Greene for a conditional-use permit for a guesthouse on property located off Lena Mae Lane in the South River Magisterial District. No one spoke at the public hearing on the request.
• Approved a refund request for Power Home Solar LLC.
• Approved the designation of Planning Director Joseph Petty as subdivision ordinance administrator.
• Accepted the award terms for the receipt of coronavirus local fiscal recovery funds.
• Approved changes to the emergency medical care and transport fee schedule.
• Approved a memorandum of understanding between the county and Rivermont Volunteer Fire Department Inc.
• Adopted a resolution recognizing the graduates of the Girls of Destiny program through Reaching Out Now.
• Approved the Warren County Broadband Project Charter.
• Approved the employee compensation plan for fiscal 2022.
• Approved the purchase order for the Warren County Public Safety Building phone system.
•Approved space improvements for the Commonwealth’s Attorney’s office.
• Approved a contract for fixed-base operator services for the Front Royal-Warren County Airport.
Supervisors met in closed session at the beginning of the meeting to consult with legal counsel about actual or probable litigation and matters concerning the Front Royal-Warren County Economic Development Authority.